Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
August 20, 2006
Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists nor Cancellations . . .
Shall Dampen Anticipation of More Tomatoes, Bike Rides & Alaska
Last Thursday I was speaking with one in our “Betty Ann” group who called from Idaho to express her sincere regrets for having to miss the upcoming Alaska cruise with Olivia.
she’ll join us soon at MECCA and for forthcoming adventures . . . a
cancellation, she noted, truly does not mean one must disappear or miss
out on future fun.
@ Back a week ago, the day after the recent
foiled terrorist plot hit the news, I was chatting with my British
“cousin” Irene Hendrick who introduced me at MECCA to her sisters . . .
one of whom had arrived from London via Heathrow just the evening
before the story broke.
We allowed as how new security measures
might put the kibosh on Liz’s and John’s roles as purveyors (my
"source") of fine Amish-grown green tomatoes via their travels back and
forth between Altoona and SFO . . . We allowed as how, on grounds that
the tomato is likely to be judged somewhere between a liquid and a gel,
my stash would probably be left behind among piles of bottled water,
wine, shampoos, lipsticks and other ointments.
(As alluded to
in a previous entry, I wrote in Pop’s eulogy about times he sent us
from Mississippi back to Washington, DC with boxes chock full of fine
tomatoes stowed beneath our seats on Delta Airlines.)
solution found this week? Carefully place some 15 big ones in a food
storage bin to be checked in baggage, with a note taped on top
declaring hopes for a "best ever" plate full of fried green tomatoes.
a new batch of the green ones did arrive this past Thursday, none the
worse for the wear, and they now populate my refrigerator crisper here
in the Castro. Trick is, one must minimize the hours without
refrigeration least the pink of ripening begins. Fed Ex was consided as
an alternate, but accompaning Liz in checked baggaged proved more
expedient . . . and ultimately, successful.
If none of this
makes sense to you, no matter . . . Many . . . well, maybe that should
be "most" . . . don't get it about green tomatoe rituals.
@ Another major feat just accomplished is I’m once again a bicycle owner. Check out the photo album from our Ladies Go Biking group’s first ride. More to be said about that bike soon.
A second photo album awaits you from our new Smart Women Get Together Business Network group’s reception held at the historic Townhouse Restaurant in Emeryville.
@ Oh, yes! I do look forward to the upcoming “Betty Ann” group’s outing on the Olivia Cruise to Alaska. (See YouTube L-word video on what to pack at this LINK.)
Our local cruise goers met for a chat at MECCA last Thursday night, and
they’ll be met not too long from now in Vancouver by more in our crew
from Hawaii, Virginia, Santa Cruz and other parts near and far.
yes! I do look forward with anticipation to once more experiencing the
awe-inspiring moments as our ship moves through the Gastineau Channel
to Juneau . . . a cathedral-like fiord with slopes on either side,
featuring snow-capped peaks, waterfalls . . . and . . . a peaceful
quiet like none other . . . and it's okay, that there's nothing more to
say . . .
(Photo of Gastineau Channel: National Center for Atmospheric Research)
Added by BettyS @ 3:15 PM
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries