Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
Is Betty a Lesbian?
January 9, 2007
Is Betty a Lesbian? . . . or
Don’t You Just Love Those Labels?
As a student of language, I was more than slightly amused when it came to my attention there was a recent Internet search using this wording: “Is Betty a lesbian” . . . It did not appear with a question mark, so I didn’t give it one inside the quote marks here.
Why, I’m just thrilled that someone would care enough to ask!
Am I a lesbian? Well, I used to be, and in fact, I still am. But, I am also - in the spirit of President John Kennedy’s famous quotation “Ich bin ein Berliner” – a gay man, bisexual, transwoman, transman, intersex, questioning, drag queen, drag king, bio queen and probably a few more if I knew what they were. I love them all.
It’s true, however, that the label I choose to describe myself has evolved. Today, I am a full-spectrum queer and proud to be. In my view, queer truly encompasses all sexualities.
But, so much for labels. The reality of my sexual practice is another story. But it’s not going to be discussed here, for sure.
Lately I am interested in the phrase “Sex Positive” and what that means for the community I now call home. I think “Sex Positive” means inherently that sex is good. I think that it also implies an unstated commitment to responsible sexual practice.
If you have read this blog previously, you probably know that my mantra is “paying attention to the ramifications that one’s behavior has for the lives of others.” Need say more?
The more interesting question and relevant one, I think, is this: Is Betty butch or femme? But, let’s agree not to go there. My sign off time is nigh.
(US Government Public Domain Image -
Handwritten Notes of President John F. Kennedy)
Entered by BettyS 2:40 AM
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries