Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . . or
Our Circle Isn’t Broken, It’s Just Bigger Now
Suddenly, Cindy . . . was there!
I did not know her very well. She was at MECCA sometimes. Around about just now and then . . . or at least, that’s all I knew.
Then came a day, when down and out, I sat feeling sad and stupid. Then came that day and suddenly. . . suddenly Cindy was there. “It’s really going to be okay,” she said. "It’s not your fault. Nothing was wrong," she assured me in my dismay.
Cindy, it becomes so easy to see, is a treasure of a woman. Wise and wise and wise some more. Wearing the perpetual tan of one who works outdoors, she has gentle hands of one who tends to flowers, grass and landscaped plans. She has strong arms of one who moves equipment, trees or other big things. Hers is the keen eye of an artist who designs and executes, creating beauty in the yard, front or back, or park or garden. Creating beauty, as she does, in human relationship.
Cindy is a treasure of a woman. Wise and wise and wise some more. She’s seen it all in twenty-five years and more, navigating, tending to community. She’s cared for many, been cared for by a few, bringing careful, homespun wisdom for all who'll hear and know. Then, by golly, now and then, she spares no fool redressings for irresponsible behaviors.
Cindy Capelli has been poster child, photographer, confidant, dancer and late night dining partner. This week, she leaves with Gindi for the Keystone State. An emptiness comes and follows with that thought.
Still, nothing will stop the IM chats, the e-mails, phone calls and good cheer. Nothing will stop the planes and trains and automobiles. Cindy isn’t leaving. Not really, no. She just moves a few miles east for a new home with promise, and we have her pledge of photos from along the way and future visits to expect!
But, suddenly Cindy . . . is far away. Farewell, good friend, and thank you. May we find ourselves together once more.
We are better for knowing you!
(Photo by Cathy Blackstone)
Entered by BettyS 3:30 PM
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries