Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
May 11, 2007
Of Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
I never knew there was such a thing . . . Masturbation Month. As it turns out, ‘tis true.
The year was 1994, and I sat in the convention audience at the National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association annual meeting in Minneapolis. The featured speaker was Jocelyn Elders, MD who had been fired some months prior from the position of U.S. Surgeon General . Why? She had said that masturbation should be a regular part of sexual education classes for young people.
Things do come full circle, don’t they? I remembered that speech by Dr. Elders when I learned recently of my opportunity to help promote Masturbation Month. Who knew?
Good Vibes responded, back then, to Elders’ dismissal by declaring the month of May to be the official “National Masturbation Month.” Has thus been so ever since . . . or every sense? May 2007 marks the 12th annual such celebration, so maybe they skipped a year? Do the math.
The celebration’s goal - as described in the GV news release I was found myself helping to create and disseminate - is to emphasize the importance of masturbation for nearly everyone as a safe, healthy and pleasurable thing to do.
GV staff sexologist Dr. Carol Queen reports, “Masturbation is an elemental component of healthy, happy sexuality for so many people.” The popularity of Masturbation Month and overwhelming customer response, she contends, “. . . reinforces the fact that everyone’s doing it. We’re just the only ones talking about it.”
What’s more, on Saturday, May 26th, Good Vibrations is supporting the work of The Center for Sex and Culture, a non-profit of which Queen is co-founder, by donating funds raised at the 9th Annual Masturbate-A-Thon.
As was pointed out to me, a Masturbate-A-Thon is similar to a Walk-A-Thon because participants seek sponsors to help raise funds in support of the benefiting organization. More information and details are to be found on the web site www.masturbate-a-thon.com.
Maybe that’s more than you wanted to know, but hey, I thought it worth telling about once I understood that a Masturbate-A-Thon differs from a Walk-A-Thon because this sex-positive event let’s your fingers do the walking.
It remains to be seen how much I plan to participate or not, but the voyeur in me was captivated to learn that a live web cast is planned from the site of the event. More details to come soon, pun intended.
Oh, before I forget, what’s this about the vodka? Writing here on the eve of the annual National Center of Lesbian Rights 31st Annual Gala at Fort Mason, I am planning a small gathering tomorrow of Betty’s List volunteers and friends to help crack the seal and sample one of three bottles of Chinggis Khan brand vodka.
The top executive of an international Freedom of Speech advocacy group, incidentally, presented this very popular Mongolian vodka to me some years ago upon her arrival from Ulaanbaatar. She did so love visiting San Francisco, and we were delighted to issue a special letter of invitation annually. The fact that I have three bottles of it in my collection of gifts from international visitors leads me to think she was here at least three times.
I shall give some thought to finding a correlation between the opening of this long-prized and much-horded stash of libation and my own observance of the month of May this year. Stay tuned for more details, or would that truly be too much information?
(Photos: Chinggis Khan Mongolian Vodka; Good Vibrations)
Entered by BettyS: 11:00 PM
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries