Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
November 11, 2007
Unbelievable . . . and So It Goes . . . Or
Who Could Possibly Think Slander, Libel or Hateful Remarks Are Okay?
Unbelievable. That’s what I have to say about personal attacks. How anyone in her right mind could think that it is okay to personally attack anyone else in public and get away with it just amazes me. Call me naive, but I expect more from women in our community.
I learned about personal attacks first hand, recently, when several submissions appeared in the Women2Women section on Craig’s List. One among the posters decided to contact me directly and let me know about it. I was, in fact, grateful for that.
The anger expressed was about “the line” and “the lists” on November 1st and the criticism of our communications – some of which was warranted, I will say – but why does anyone think that beyond expressing opinions and pointing out how procedures could be better . . . how anyone could think that in addition to making points of suggestion or even constructive and appropriate critique . . . how anyone could think that it is okay to say things that are slanderous, libelous and hateful . . . how anyone could think that is okay . . . is beyond me.
I thought I had ceased to be amazed by what went on in angry e-mail messages or postings. I thought that buzz groups making inflammatory remarks, spreading slanderous or libelous statements didn’t happen . . . until I received this one: “Betty, you are the worst thing that ever happened to lesbians in the Bay Area.”
There were other offensive things said, but let’s keep the focus on the ones said specifically about me. I can’t even imagine discussing the ones that went beyond me and attacked others.
At first, I was amused. Then, I wasn’t. Outrageous statements – when their intent is humor - can, indeed, be funny. But, outrageous statements attacking individuals or LGBT community businesses, well they are just hateful and simply reek of juvenile behavior.
At least for tonight, I’m laughing, even as I shake my head. Do I think it would ever be appropriate and okay for me to say to anyone that she is the worst thing that ever happened about anything. No.
Do I think it is okay for someone to say that to me. No. I think it is hateful and quite frankly, stupid. Would I have believed that anyone would think that the Craig's List staff would or should allow such statements to remain on the website they are responsible for monitoring? No. But that very idea was also posted.
Below this blog entry is the photo from our celebration of someone to whom it has actually been said in public that she is the worst thing that ever happened . . . Well, let’s let it be known that I have had too much therapy about outrageous and inappropriate behaviors, due to a member of my own family, for the probable desired effect of the recent statements to have even a faint possibility of happening.
Too much water has flowed under the bridge . . . my bridge.
As Natalie would say, my t-shirt replies: "F.U. __ __" but I'll be darn if I would ever say her name or even include her initials. There you have it and so it goes . . .
(Betty's List Photos)
Entered by BettyS 11/12/07
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries