Betty's List Departments
Betty's List Columns
The Betty Blog
The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
January 1, 2008
The Cat Peed On the Keyboard . . . Or,
A Glass Half Full on New Year's Day
Roll out of bed and find the computer. That's true on most days. Check the telephones and get underway.
Happy . . . New Year's Day!
But, something's not right: “n” gives an “m” and not just one, but many . . . “mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .” and so it goes.
Restart the software. No change. Restart the computer. No change. Troubleshooting, this seems familiar and it looks like keyboard weirdness. Once in a while, something like water or Diet Coke has been spilled on the keyboard . . . either by the big guy, Mr. Louie-The-Great - who is known to turn things over and sometimes sends e-mail out, mid-sentence before it is ready; or, by me in my own clumsiness.
However, just a few hours prior, everything was fine, working well and no liquid was left out when the computer said goodnight.
Troubleshooting. Take the corner of a business card and run it along between a row of keys. Sure enough. There's moisture . . . and cat hair. The cat hair is not a surprise. But, how did moisture get in there?
I think one of them, either Mr. Louie or Miss Frances, must have peed on the keyboard. That's a great start for 2008, isn't it? Plus, I will not be happy if I can't get online today. The thought of why that new spare one hasn't yet been ordered from Apple comes to mind.
What store is open today that might sell keyboards? Nothing? Can I get online to order one for delivery? Probably not. Might . . . just might there be an old one down in the laundry/storage room that would work? Go see.
Well, here I sit typing. Not one but two new keyboards are now on order with an expedite delivery request. This glass is not half empty. It is half full. I called and told my friend about this. She laughed and ask me if it smelled. I told her I did not try to smell the keyboard and would not because it is now in the trash. She laughed a lot and hung up the phone.
The mantra for the year 2008: The cat might pee on the keyboard, so be sure you have a spare.
- Miss Callie Louise Has a Great Granddaughter
- Of Security, Preparedness & Wingwomen I Love
- How I Understand My Work . . .
- Ladies Night - 1st Thurdays
- Welcoming the New Year, the New Decade
- At Least on Some Days, It Is Good To Be from Mississippi
- Pumpkins Are at the Safeway . ..
- Of Culkin Wildcats . . .
- January's Come In with a Bang Thus Far . . .
- Ladies Night @ Orson
- Olde Year Out, Adieu! Adieu! – Welcome Now The New! The New!
- Gratitude & Wishes At Christmas Eve & Hanukkah
- Dissenting Voices on Election Day
- Halloween Revisited
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- The Cat Peed on the Keyboard . . .
- Saying Goodbye . . . Legacy of 2007
- A Toast to Reno and the 45th Annual "Fun Train" . . . Or
- How I Spent Thanksgiving II
- How I Spent Thanksgiving
- Unbelievable . . . And So It Goes
- Ladies Night at MECCA Is Back!
- My Old Cat, Miss Frances Calico
- Out from Mississippi . . . Presented at the Memorial for Trevor Hailey
- Why Do I Love the Pumpkins?
- Now There Is a Lava Lamp Over My Head
- May the Goddess Bless Mrs. Audrey Kinzer
- Should I Not Support Hillary Clinton . . .
- Live Earth Concerts
- Showing My True Colors . . .
- Lamentations Sometimes . . .
- Mongolian Vodka, May & Masturbation Month
- Of Birthdays, Birthdays and More Birthdays!
- When Unexpected Friendship Comes . . .
- Megablogging on the Day of Hunky Jesus
- There Is No Map for Where We Go . . .
- Time To Be Irish, Again
- How I Got My Sore Ribcage
- How I Told My Brother That I'd Be Working with Team GV
- Natalie Says She's Ready to Make Nice
- Kitty Rose on My Mind
- Betty Says: GO BEARS!!!
- Molly Ivins, Texas & "The Dildo Diaries"
- Don't Know Much About . . . Horses
- Seek Joy! Joy in the Morning! Joy at Night!
- Don't Often Write About Celebrities
- Words to Remember When Working with Gay Men
- Abundance in the Window
- Is Betty a Lesbian?
- So Many Women, So Little Time
- Starting the Year Off with A Rant
- Mississippi & Castro Memories on the Night Before
- Christmas Memories from Round About Culkin
- 'Tis the Season, Isn't It?
- She Sang at Least Six Verses to Us
- "I.M.P.E.A.C.H." Bush!" Signs Outside the SaveMart Arena
- Maybe I Do Act Like a Teenager About Them
- Yes, It's True That I Like to Write
- Juneau What I Mean About Losing Stuff?
- When Disappointment Becomes Disbelief and Then Some
- It's Almost Halloween Again . . .
- Miss Louise Might Be Turning Over in Her Grave
- Peaks So High, They Touch the Hands of . . . the Goddess
- Seeking Another Filthy / Gorgeous Ghetto Princess
- Upon My Return from Brokeback Mountain
- Sometimes I Am Easily Amused
- And So It Goes . . . There Go the Pickles
- Neither Storm of Night, nor Terrorists, nor Cancellations . . .
- You'll Never Bike Alone
- When Love Manifests Itself in Friendship . . .
- January - June, 2006
- St. Patrick's Day - 2006
- Single Again on Valentine's Day
- 2006 Archive
- 2005 Entries